The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Project conservatory woodburner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
patlink

Project conservatory woodburner Empty
PostSubject: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am

Hello,
I am new to the forum found the forum via Youtube videos on rocket stoves.
The plan is to build a homemade wood burner to heat our conservatory and the downstairs as all is open plan.
I have built a gas bottle burner in the past, my son uses this in his garden now.
Welding and fabrication should not be the hold-up, more the planning on getting the right design with the best performance.

Any advice or links to other builds please.

Thanks
Pat

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 12, 2016 6:08 pm

hi pat welcome to the site

theres more involved than getting the right design it also depends on the place your heating up as well

as much as the material that you intend to burn

wood as it fill it every so often or pellets that is continuous to a degree until cleaning of the system

however i will admit im looking into the rocket stove for another type of system as i build that version up

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/f1-ideas-and-research

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/f2-show-us-your-stove
Back to top Go down
patlink

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 6:09 am

Thanks for your reply Gadily

I have been reading loads of the post on the forum already and watched this morning a stove build again

New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.
sorry can not upload the links

As for space, I have two corners in the conservatory I could use both would allow me to send the chimney out the wall behind the burner.
Wood and maybe sawdust  briquettes (home-made) for fuel.
Would like to view the fire via a cover with window but most of all I want  to get  heat return with  little fuel.
I should have enough space around the burner to create cleaning ports.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 1:23 pm

I dont think you understand the space required that you need might be too big depending on what your stove size is
not saying it cant be done

take my own build https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t874-portable-rocket-stove

it maybe small but it can only heat a certain size of room without additions ( extra heat exchangers )

ppottys system is good but also uses a flue to create extra heat being transmitted to the room

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t554-latest-workshop-heater

another version using a different heat exchanger to produce more heat transfering to the room from the system

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t857-arocket-for-my-narrowboat

garys stove pushes at the rocket to make a really good one but at a cost

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t524-gary-s-stove

gary is trying a much smaller version to his build but has made considerable changes to his wood consumption from 4 cords of wood too 1, 1/2 cords of wood used in canada area

it also depends on the type of wood that you use

Back to top Go down
patlink

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyTue Dec 13, 2016 1:30 pm

Thanks for the posts Gadily

I watched the build from caotropheus and really like the build of his last burner with the huge viewing window.

I will read the links you posted and start planning on paper

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 4:33 pm

if you want to plan anything on the pc theres a small paint program called paint got plenty of stuff within it

its what i use to build and change a design as i build it or even tested after where i have seen more improvements where possible
Back to top Go down
patlink

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyFri Dec 23, 2016 5:00 pm

I am going to try and model the Burner in Autodesk Fusion as I can use simulation software to test the build I hope.

I am thinking about fire brick lined inside or case to avoid burn out over time.

Watch a video from ZeroFossilFuel very good information

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCifpcd-CUqDWAjPtliETytg
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 9:54 am

first take the square foot of the area you need to heat that will tell you what kind of heater your going to need
Back to top Go down
patlink

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 12:57 pm

If  I take the square foot area what do I use the area to calculate the require BTU and type of  heater will need.

So far I have sourced some materials
1 x 9,5kg gas bottle
1 x 13 kg bottle

both free but managed to buy two used
2 x47kg bottle I think I managed a good deal cash via eBay

Like the idea of a cast or fire brick internal setup. Want to build so I can make changes and service the burner easily.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Heater

Mr. Heater

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptySun Dec 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 10:37 am

if you look at my profile pick this one will heat 1386 modular home well insulated home
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 11:47 am

the other thing is what type of fuel are you going to use i like zero's system it still works good after three years of use but keep in mind he only uses it when he is in the room after that it shuts down ppottys system is much larger uses more fuel might be able to convert to run pellets or coal ?
Back to top Go down
patlink

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I would like to use wood and maybe home-made sawdust briquettes. As we want a viewing window to see the fire burn.
Will try and draw up a floor plan to show the understanding of the open plan problem.
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptyMon Dec 26, 2016 6:17 pm

i was thinking of doing the same thing with the sawdust briquettes but smaller one ppotty system modded to fit the briquettes would system i think would be the best one or garys stove
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner EmptySat Jan 07, 2017 6:52 pm

Pat welcome, you will find a great deal of help and as well very good information that you can apply to your builds.
I think we have one of the best groups that work very well with each other and no idea is a bad idea, no one is ostracized for contributions nor looked down upon.

No matter how small they may seem to be.

Several members here will gladly chip in and provide answers and links for any questions you may have.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project conservatory woodburner   Project conservatory woodburner Empty

Back to top Go down

Project conservatory woodburner
Page 1 of 1