The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from southwest uk

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
chopit

Hello from southwest uk Empty
PostSubject: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyFri Dec 28, 2018 1:12 pm

hey everyone ie just finishing my 47kg bottle logburner and ive stumbled across rocket heaters so im thinking of building a side batch with another 47kg and seems like theres a lot of no how here
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptySat Dec 29, 2018 9:54 pm

ive used a number of wood burners over the years

for wood usage a rocket stove beats them with storage and its burning principle

its an initial higher cost but its worthwhile in the end
Back to top Go down
chopit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptySun Dec 30, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks for your reply gadily
It was yours and a couple of others projects that bought me here lol the log burner is a little big really unless I have the door open I need to decide what size rs to build and look into the riser a little more maybe build the burn chamber from fire brick or similar with an adaptor then the ss riser try to prolong the life of the ss and keep it so I can swap parts out
How long does the ss risers last I see you had one last around 2yrs
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 2:21 am

just to note a rocket stove can be a bigger item than what you might think

my system is not that big but i have smoke issues to a degree its burn tunnel wants extending a little i believe wont know until ive done it but it is a small build

if your wondering what i mean its not firing enough to the back of the vortex tube from the fire box

my first one was a gas bottle size 30" high by 30" forward x width 14" size of a gas bottle

my smaller one is 11" wide 18" foraward x 24" i think

firebox is just used a loader box 9x9" width + length 10" high adding 1" either side for air inlets and top

i fire mine just when im in there not constantly over the winter months and i have no insulation wrap around it either could make a difference with it
Back to top Go down
chopit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 2:32 am

I'm just planning fire box now and looking at ref mixes for the burn chamber Im Going to go 4-5" on the riser with insulation I just don't want to build something that cooks me while I'm working lol heat wise how do u think a 47kg bottle would stand against same size log burner hotter or colder
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 2:38 am

all depends on the size of building or shed mines only a 11ftx10ft 7 ft high shed so cooks me out of it
also if you decide to incorporate a straight to chimney flue

its a bypass so heat dosnt go back down then up the chimney it rises up the riser just the same

red is bypass with slide shut off door

Hello from southwest uk Rs10
Back to top Go down
chopit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 4:17 am

I like that idea would help when first starting the fire
my workshop is 20ft x 20ftx 8ft x7ft tall shaped like a wedge of cheese so the fire will be going in the smallest part to radiate out
I've just lit the log burner and it's a bit to hot might go next size down for rs it's nice to be warm but this is to hot
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyMon Dec 31, 2018 11:10 pm

just so your aware rocket stoves pump out alot of heat probably more than your log burner but with less wood usage

can i ask you to read this another rocket stove builder that took the plunge and made one

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t839-thoughts-on-2nd-year-burning-batch-rocket-stove

that system does use the bypass system his is a big build however it can be made smaller with good results
Back to top Go down
chopit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyTue Jan 01, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you for the link gadily that was a very interesting read with some good points and info theres a bit more to it then i first thought and alot more planing needed it will have a batch box a 19kg bottle and an ss riser ive managed to find ss with 6.5mm wall not cheap though lol do you think there would be any benefit over the thinner tube
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 2:11 am

for years of useage probably its never been really tried over a long period of time garys stove is 3 years running it on a daily basis in the canada area colder than the uk

its 3 years this year

im looking at replacement of use over the years so firebrick might be the way to go replace when needed

but that adds inches to the system being built

so for a firebox with a 9x9x9 with firebrick your looking at 11x11x10 if adding an insulation area then your adding another 1" to 2" air gap preheated and then another firebrick fire blanket

the size is just getting bigger and bigger garys system points to a quick set build with an internal firebox of steel ample enough of ample size
Back to top Go down
chopit

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 5:08 am

OK I've just read Gary's post again that things a beast lol I'm just getting parts together for build as soon as I start I will start a thread and see how I go I had a little play over last week with an old fire extinguisher and some scrap seems to work well enough just trying to get me head around it just basic though with no secondary
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk EmptyThu Jan 03, 2019 10:29 am

if you want to try one stay simple for the first build theres always a better system once you understand the system and if youve made any mistakes on your first build of one

everyone has to learn a build before they try the next build so keep it simple

garys is big but we dont need it that size and i do believe hes made a smaller one now

the parts i used was simple 4 3/4 box section stainless steel 3mm the vortex is 2mm 4" choose your height from your build

your cap must be 5mm or use a replaceable firebrick top as stops burn out on top plate firebox
choose your size if your intending to use firebrick widen your sides by 1" so for a 9x9" firebox you need size 11" x 11" the inserted firebrick will reduce the box down to 9" x 9" then your air sides needs to be taken into consideration, then your height of the box stay below half way up your heat exchanger
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from southwest uk   Hello from southwest uk Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from southwest uk
Page 1 of 1