The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)

Go down 
+7
2ndburn
ppotty1 Admin
Bezman
ievolve
T2H
caotropheus
aravaron
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
aravaron

stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:52 pm

made them from same diameter tank as used for the heat exchanger.
Back to top Go down
gadily

stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 3:34 am

i suggest that you use a stainless steel grid as i would have considered this approach if wanting the fire effect through the window drilled holes in stainless steel wouldnt have this effect but a wire mesh would have

on another note ive got to ask but what is your burn times on the load you are using when you are lighting this rs up

ive caught trying2hards and ppottys burn times

but i tend to like the flames showing on a fire
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 5:38 am

Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 5:53 am

2ndburn wrote:
Hi,
    :affraid:   :arrow:  :arrow: If the fire box is full of hot coals and is working to its maximum burn and you open the door the coals are at some point going to fall out, :bounce:   :bounce:  :bounce: 
you need something to hold them back for safety reasons.. it must be contained safely! ..And you must test it fully!! make a test grid something that you can easily remove and alter make better ..trial and error!
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 am

2ndburn wrote:
aravaron wrote:
so i need to put some grid..

Yes, Cool  vertical so the coals do not build up fall and touch the glass ..also it would stop any falling out when you open the door to add more wood etc,  ;) .
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 am

Hi
Idea 
How about starting the fire on top of a grid, off the bottom so air can pass under the coals, if you make this  L  shape it will hold back the coals. You can then clean ash from underneath

Idea   
How about slots in the floor of the fire box, so that fine ash will fall thru, with a removable ash pan on the underside of the fire box.

a similar build on the forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF6m6-5p_7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rTAp3Wse0
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:44 pm

ive drawn it out for you if it helps

stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 R_s_gl11

i would feed the wood through the top of it the red part is the lift up lid

the purple is your ash try collection box
blue is the stainless steel drilled holes
the brown is your stainless steel slotted bar for bigger

doing these below the fire chamber allows cleaning of unit whilst still in use the door can be opened to clean the unburnt bigger stuff
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 pm

hi gadily- thanks for the comment!
you mean i'll use the front door only for cleaning and open a door on the top plate of the wood chamber?
liked the idea of the grid i'll make it soon.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 12:06 am

yes the glass door in yellow is built with grid and is only used for cleaning of unburnt embers of the fire as always remains closed whilst in use

the top door in red is for extra filling up of the burner then can be used much longer and nothin will fall out

the brown stainless steel sloted can be of the same height or droped down an inch this allows the heat to keep moving into the chamber as its been burnt off the second drilled stainless steel catches smaller hot ash but continues to burn under the slotted stainless steel before dropping down into the ash tray below this as this allows for the cleaning of the ash whilst still in use

roughly like this approach as theres nothin on net that shows how to do it other than this clip
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 3:33 am

gadily wrote:
yes the glass door in yellow is built with grid and is only used for cleaning of unburnt embers of the fire as always remains closed whilst in use

the top door in red is for extra filling up of the burner then can be used much longer and nothin will fall out

the brown stainless steel sloted can be of the same height or droped down an inch this allows the heat to keep moving into the chamber as its been burnt off the second drilled stainless steel catches smaller hot ash but continues to burn under the slotted stainless steel before dropping down into the ash tray below this as this allows for the cleaning of the ash whilst still in use

roughly like this approach as theres nothin on net that shows how to do it other than this clip

:!:

Hi, I like the way this grate has been designed. As you can shake the coals and catch the ashes in a pan below.
It also has the removable grid in front to hold back the coals, This is what your fire box needs to stop your coals falling out 
:arrow:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq08fudAgjg

Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 5:59 am

i have looked at it a few times i tend to like the idea of long burn times via a bag of pellets the steel used in it is only 3.1/2" its burn chamber is 2"/2.1/2" i was considering using rocket burner and also the chamber as well

but i needed to learn to mig weld first which is what i have done
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 29, 2014 9:43 am

gadily wrote:
i have looked at it a few times i tend to like the idea of long burn times via a bag of pellets the steel used in it is only 3.1/2" its burn chamber is 2"/2.1/2" i was considering using rocket burner and also the chamber as well

but i needed to learn to mig weld first which is what i have done

Cool 
Hi, Yes i like long burn times to, my next rocket stove build will be built for the long burn times. There is a utube link in my last comment above, for aravaron. for him to get some idea's, as he builds a grate into is fire box. did you watch it?
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 8:29 am

:?: Hi aravaron, How is your stove coming on?
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 2:44 pm

In fact there was no progress because I am in a transition to a new home, i hope that this week i'll get to the rocket
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 pm

aravaron wrote:
In fact there was no progress  because I am in a transition to a new home, i hope that this week i'll get to the rocket

sunny 
 Cool I wish you good fortune and prosperity in your new home. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:43 pm

hi!

ok so we're back to business- i take the whole burn chamber down as i could, and that creates a small area for coals and ash to built up on the floor of the chamber. i made a small drawer\ box to collect the ash but i think i'll make a bigger one.
i light the fire and finally and surprisingly the rocket worked good! i waited about an hour add more and more fuel and the rocket did not choke up, smoke, or nothing! it just worked perfectly -

Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 7:35 pm

Very Happy 
Hi Ron,
I have been looking forward to you returning with your build. I can see that the alterations have made have made a big difference,

If I may make some suggestions.
The top of the fire box I would put a lid with a seal, for adding wood. This needs to be smaller than the glass door that you have. This would then stop the smoke from coming out when you need to add more wood. The way you have it now, the air draw is weaker than the door volume.

Consider the depth of the fire box. I think it needs to be deeper about 12" from door to the back of the fire box. As this will give you longer burn times.

Fabricate a Grate to stop the fire falling out when you do open the door and so that air can pass under the wood coals.

Fabricate the ash pan so it is under the firebox in a way you can remove it without opening the fire,
it needs to be on the outside and separate from the fire box.
Best regards: Bob.
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:14 pm

nice look to it. I have a similar sized half tank, I was going to scrap. looking at yours, I think i'll build a outside stove for cooking, and glass door it.

I'll put up a build thread when I start.
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 3:52 am

thanks for comments, many work is yet to come...
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am

to stop the embers choking the burn you have to make it so that it can be cleaned out during use so you need to make a tray that is removable to empty and then slide it back in again

as you have found out its better to lower the embers tray and using a grill but as youve noticed hard to get out also you have to stop using it to empty the ash box per long burn

one other thing you will not stop smoke coming out of the door not even if the refill is on top of the firebox as the firebox is too high half of the firebox would still be the same there is a way round this problem smaller slits to the sides one slit across the top so the whole glass is covered but more air comes from the top down than from the sides of your window glass

id still leave everything as is just change the embers tray and create that filling up at the top this means longer running times

stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 Rs_air10

purple is tray under the firebox that slides out to empty then slots back in whilst in use

black is your door with the air passing over it in red

the sides are only slits but the bigger slit is at the top piece as you need more air coming down the system over the glass air coming down the system will clear a good amount of the smoke from the top of the system
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 11:58 am

gadily wrote:

one other thing you will not stop smoke coming out of the door not even if the refill is on top of the firebox as the firebox is too high half of the firebox would still be the same there is a way round this problem smaller slits to the sides one slit across the top so the whole glass is covered but more air comes from the top down than from the sides of your window glass

My hopper has to down draft more than his. very few issues with filling mine, because flue size and hopper inlet , are the same size.

if he puts a 3 inch diam pipe fill spot on top, smoke should be minimal with sides closed.
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 2:40 pm

the main issue here is when i open the door- smoke is coming out. if i'll change the air intake system and make it smaller , if i understood you right, that can clean the glass better but smoke still come out when the door is open.
i'll create the tray under the firebox, that can be slide out during use of the stove.
and i'll take a piece of metal sheet and cover the upper part of the firebox, by this i'll make the open more small, and we will see how it works then
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 7:10 pm

aravaron wrote:
the main issue here is when i open the door- smoke is coming out. if i'll change the air intake system and make it smaller , if i understood you right, that can clean the glass better but smoke still come out when the door is open.
i'll create the tray under the firebox, that can be slide out during use of the stove.
and i'll take a piece of metal sheet and cover the upper part of the firebox, by this i'll make the open more small, and we will see how it works then

Hi Aravaron,

Smoke comes out of my stove when I open it. I think the problem is that the door opening is far larger than the flue pipe and the heat and smoke take the easiest route. On mine I am thinking about putting a hatch on the door to feed wood into. Here is the link to my thread if you have not see it. https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t270-my-first-rocket-stove-space-heater

James
Back to top Go down
twistedkarma

twistedkarma

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:51 pm

I use my hatch for the upper air. this gives me the secondary burn up in my hopper.
James, if you had glass on yours, you would see some rolling clouds of fire. plenty of blue flames also.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 10:15 pm

2ndburn wrote:
Very Happy 
Hi Ron,
I have been looking forward to you returning with your build. I can see that the alterations have made have made a big difference,
 :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 

If I may make some suggestions.
The top of the fire box I would put a lid with a seal, for adding wood. This needs to be smaller than the glass door that you have. This would then stop the smoke from coming out when you need to add more wood. The way you have it now, the air draw is weaker than the door volume.

Consider the depth of the fire box. I think it needs to be deeper about 12" from door to the back of the fire box. As this will give you longer burn times.

Fabricate a Grate to stop the fire falling out when you do open the door and so that air can pass under the wood coals.

Fabricate the ash pan so it is under the firebox in a way you can remove it without opening the fire,
it needs to be on the outside and separate from the fire box.
 :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: ...................... 
Best regards: Bob.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   stove - new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next