The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)

Go down 
+7
2ndburn
ppotty1 Admin
Bezman
ievolve
T2H
caotropheus
aravaron
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
aravaron

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 4:42 am

so i need to put some grid..
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:04 am

aravaron wrote:
so i need to put some grid..

Yes, Cool  vertical so the coals do not build up fall and touch the glass ..also it would stop any falling out when you open the door to add more wood etc,  ;) 
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 am

i thought more putting the grid on the inside of the door...
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:10 am

scratch 
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 5:38 am

Hi,
If the fire box is full of hot coals and is working to its maximum burn and you open the door the coals are at some point going to fall out, :bounce:   :bounce:  :bounce: 
you need something to hold them back for safety reasons.. it must be contained safely! ..And you must test it fully!! make a test grid something that you can easily remove and alter make better ..trial and error!
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 11:38 am

aravaron wrote:
does anybody know how much air does this system needs??
maybe the size of the square of the burn chamber? which in my RS is 15 cm which mean 15x15=225
or maybe just half of it? 112.5?

Avaron as already said you will need much more primary air intake than you have already, something equivalent to the size of the riser if not slightly smaller. where you have the entrance holes drilled I would cut out that entire panel.
What you can do to find out is light the fire and close off all the air intakes. Open the door Take a thin piece of door sized steel and place it over the opening leaving a gap at the bottom or top, increase and decrease the gap to find the sweet spot and once the fire is burning bright load the firebox with your intended fuel load and check if its enough air. You will find with your tall door opening that the fire will want to climb out of the top of the opening so try the gap top and bottom to see what effect it has on the burn. Also testing as you are now without a top on the stove and flue will give different results to when they are fitted so temp put them in place to test the burn. The glass air wash needs alot more holes as already suggested.
Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 3:00 pm

I agree with ppoty1. You need much more primary air and once you install a chimney, the stove will work much better. Just take an angle grinder and cut slots between those holes in both lateral panels. Once you install a chimney, let the stove warm up for about 20 minutes, only then you will see the full potential of the stove.

מזל שאני מבין עברית
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 3:15 pm

ok guys- got you. thanks for all the support! thats is really amazing whats going on here in this forum.
people from all around the world helps each other, think togther and create a place for information to flow with no borders... that is true. thank you.

i will add the chimney, open more big slots for the air intake, put a grid and fire this thing!!
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 20140110

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 20140111

hello everyone! so i made some changes in the air supply- changed the opening for the air to get in the system to be equivalent  +- to the area of the riser, changed the tunnel that leads the air to the glass for little bit bigger tunnel also with same opens like the riser area.
need to make new windows to control the flow, cannot make the windows the same method like before..
today is a test day. good,luck i'll post a video of the burning
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 pm

:o Hi aravaron,
I think you may have miss understood the amount of air required, the way it was before with the angle iron with holes down the side for the glass wash was a good idea, it just needed more holes?  The door is good and I would not change it! ..I think the new big hole you have at the top will invite gasification in the fire box. I think this hole needs to be thin and travel from top to bottom to get the air across the glass to help keep it clean/cool. Are you building a log burner?
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 3:58 am

hi.

they way that the angle iron was before gave me too little space to open the right amount of area for the air intake.
now i opened holes in the right size that is needed.
i fired the rocket stove and it went good. now there is enough air (i think) and i can control it.
the issue now is the smoke.

take a look-
Back to top Go down
Bezman

Bezman

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 5:41 am

aravaron,

This is coming on really well! You are clearly working really hard on this project. I have to admit, I think you are being a bit hard on yourself regards the amount of smoke being produced. It is keeping you busy in your quest for perfection so that is a good thing! It is looking really good as it is now, have you thought of attaching the top & chimney flue to see if that has any bearing on the levels of smoke being produced?

Anyway, I am enjoying watching your progress.

Take care.

Bezman
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 6:08 am

Nice ventilation system, though I think it is too big for the stove, just like 2ndburn referred. At least, like this way you can test a bit more the primary air intake. I suppose you need to restrict a bit ( I would try to close half) the primary air dispenser close to glass. Keep the length of the gaps, just close half of the width. You need long thin gaps so air comes out fast and laminar and cleans the glass. Sure there is a sweet spot that allows you to insert into the stove the right amount of air at the right speed but you need to close the heat exchanger and insert a chimney to test it. About the smoke, once you have a chimney, the stove will work perfectly, smokeless. Please do not forget that once you close the top of the heat exchanger and you install the chimney your stove will burn much hotter and burn all the smoke.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Hey Ron if you have not monetized your videos look into it man.

If you want to earn money on your videos you can apply to monetize them.

D

Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 3:23 pm

thanks friends! i hope that today i'll add the chimney and close the top area air tight.
hopefully it'll burn better and clear also the smoke.
it looked me to be more important make sure that enough air enter the system before i close the outside tank and create more pressure on the air flow. maybe i took it too far but maybe we all learned something from it ;) 

so i cut an open for the chimney a little bit higher then the burn chamber entrance right?
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 3:40 pm

I would say the lower level of the chimney 2 or 3 centimetres above the top level of the "burn" chamber. This way the stove will always work good without the need to build bypasses.
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 12:53 am

Like a Star @ heaven 
Hi aravaron,
I think it will burn well, you need to add a removable grid about 10 centimetres tall in front off the wood so you can build up a good amount of coals, this will help clear the smoke!  I think this stove needs to be hotter, there is not enough heat in the riser for the secondary air to work!  I agree with caotropheus this will be a good position for the chimney, as it will make it easy to start when the stove is cold. Aso if it continues to smoke it maybe that the riser needs to be taller, to pull on the fire because of the size and volume of the fire box? 
Looking forward to the next vid. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:44 am

hi there all!

added chimney, close top plate, burn, you can see it all in this series of videos

i figure that once rhe wood larger then the burn chamber i'll get smoke every time i open the door. but when it finish burning and all the coal is on thw floor the gas and smoke sucked into the burn chamber and there is little smoke coming out, somthing i can live with...
i think i have come to a system that work quit good. still need to make the grid to protect the glass, make good and strong legs, this thing is heavy:), handles for the primary and secondary air doors, they get very hot.
color every thing after a good weld all over the rocket and i think that the winter here will ends until i finish all :) but it was worth every second of hard work and will be standing for next winter.

another develop that im intending doing here is to add another small internal tank for pyrolysis system that create wood gas. still thinking of how and where and im open for suggestions!
thanks to all of you help to come to this.
Ron
Back to top Go down
2ndburn

2ndburn

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 3:15 am

Hi Ron Congratulations,  Very Happy 

I think maybe the extra smoke was from contaminants paint oils burning of inside. You have heavy thick steel to heat up to temp before it will burn clean.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 4:05 am

Congratulations for the success on the stove. To save on fuel, install a dumper in the chimney. You can control much better the combustion with a dumper in the chimney instead of just reducing primary air.

What is chimney diameter? I think that if the chimney is taller, there will be less or no smoke coming out of when you open the door. Also, close all the primary and secondary air before you open the door. probably less smoke will come out.
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 9:34 pm

This is not the chimney i will use for the rocket this only prmenant one. Where i need to put the damper? How high inside the chimney?
Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 10:41 pm

Look at my videos. Just when the chimney exits the stove.
Back to top Go down
Bezman

Bezman

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:12 pm

Hello aravaron

Very Happy Really glad you have persevered with this build. It has been really enjoyable watching it from start to this point. Loads of videos, and lots of commentary! Thank you for sharing.

Regards the smoking and things, I think all of the answers are contained between answers on this post and your commentary on the video.

If I were to summarise I think you were getting 'some' smoke due to a number of factors.

1) Not having the top plate on - this would have prolonged the riser tube coming up in temperature.
2) There is a lot of heavy metal in that build which would have taken a little bit of time to heat up - not having the top plate on (point 1) wouldn't have helped.
3) location of your chimney outlet - however this comment is based largely on what I have been reading on this forum. Mine is located above the burn box more by luck than judgement!
4) Smoke being produced when you add more fuel.......I will hazard a guess that happens to most of us....well I it certainly does when I add additional fuel onto my stove anyway. However, it goes away again very quickly due to a combination of the above 3 factors not being present as the stove has been running for a while (if that makes sense).

Anyway, really enjoying this sequence of vids and progress!

Bezman
Back to top Go down
aravaron

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 3:42 am

made some legs today

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 20140112
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 4:14 am

Nice legs. :) What did you make them from
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)   new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

new rocket stove mass heater (and an not successful old one)
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next