The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PVC chimney pipe

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tim Keith

PVC chimney pipe Empty
PostSubject: PVC chimney pipe   PVC chimney pipe EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 9:42 am

I have read that some high efficiency condensing natural gas furnaces use PVC pipe as a chimney.   Of course in such a natural gas stove there is no creosote condensation in the chimney.   These high efficiency gas furnaces extract most of the heat before the exhaust enters the chimney.  My question is could a rocket heater burn so cleanly that PVC pipe could be also used for the chimney ?  Maybe not use PVC in the entire chimney, but in the upper portion to increase natural draft ?

The location I want to use to place my hydronic rocket heater is under some tall trees.  I am concerned about the chimney draft.   I don't want to use a chimney fan.  The stainless chimney pipe is too costly for me to use much of it.
Back to top Go down
gadily

PVC chimney pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC chimney pipe   PVC chimney pipe EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

yes a pvc pipe could be used with a rocket burner however the flue temp must be below a certain f for this to happen
however i am aware of a pvc pipe that takes a higher f temp than the normal pvc pipe and i think this is the pipe they use for extraction of flue gases

here the link for pvc softening temps where pvc pipe distorts due to tempereature

http://www.pvc.org/en/p/heat-distortion-temperature-softening-temperature

if you noticed ( pp ) polypipe used for soil stacks and sink drains this is why the pipe bows when not supported by clips at intervals
Back to top Go down
Tim Keith

PVC chimney pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC chimney pipe   PVC chimney pipe EmptyWed Apr 30, 2014 8:36 pm

That's what I thought. I would use stainless near the heat, then the PVC to gain some extra height.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PVC chimney pipe Empty
PostSubject: Re: PVC chimney pipe   PVC chimney pipe Empty

Back to top Go down

PVC chimney pipe
Page 1 of 1