The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Aluminized Metal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffJetisoned

Aluminized Metal Empty
PostSubject: Aluminized Metal   Aluminized Metal EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 11:47 am

Just wonder if anyone has done anything with this type of steel and if it has any value in rocket stove construction. I'm fairly stupid at knowing types of metals and when to use them and when not to. From what I understand, it has been used in ranges, heat ducts, ovens..withstands high temps, looks like galvanized.. don't know..but also know where I can get, like boatloads of this stuff, 12,14,16,18 gauge, just don't know value, being drop. I know mufflers are made with it or at least some, and wonder how much of the pipe is made with it..seems like my pipes on my vehicles, which are old...(I like it that way..I can fix them when they brake) always rust, which I don't think they would do if they had chromium(sp) or characteristics of stainless steel in them. Muffler pipe doesn't even look remotely like stainless tube..like type 304... and wonder what it(304 or 316 would hold up to when using for this application). I also think that the size of muffler pipe has increased over the years( I thought my Cherry Bombs and Glass Pack mufflers where loud in my day...lol..) and don't know the real reason for it other than the smaller pipe couldn't handle the combustion and the headers are bigger..lol..watch gas pour out of most of them when it should probably be water, from hydogen, which reminds me..my father owned a gas station and would pour a half cup of water through a carb and there would be like a black powder-dust-bowl spitting out the exhaust, probably charged 'em $19.95 and sent 'em out door...don't know...lol...raised six kids doing it..lol..Anyway, I have heard several people on this forum using muffler pipe and think it might not be right material to use in high temp, rocket stove applications, and also calling it stainless steel, which I don't even know if that is true, or how much of it is stainless steel..everyone is cutting corners and I would like to do the same too, if I knew which corners I could cut. Just throwing this out there...hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.. and another subject to talk about in this great forum and site. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Back to top Go down
T2H
Admin
T2H

Aluminized Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aluminized Metal   Aluminized Metal EmptyTue Aug 26, 2014 2:28 pm

I do know when you weld it, it will give off toxic fumes.
But so does welding period:>)

If I used it, I would use it for chimney piping but not for internal riser tubes.

Back to top Go down
pZak

Aluminized Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aluminized Metal   Aluminized Metal EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 5:25 pm

I used to work for a heat recovery company and have been a welder for more years than I care to mention. From what I understand 316SS is for anti corrosion not heat resistance. I did some research and found the following info, the temp ratings are in parenthesis, 316 (temp not listed, heat resistance not its primary purpose) is for food service where 304 (1500) is general anti corrosive, 309 (1900) or 310 (2010) if available are better for heat resistance. While harder to find, 309 or 310 will probably be cheaper than 316. Mild steel temperature rating is about 550. Chrome moly also called A387 or 4130 is good to about 1100. Just my two cents. Can't help with the muffler pipe.
Back to top Go down
gadily

Aluminized Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aluminized Metal   Aluminized Metal EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 6:51 pm

if you are going to use it use it on small applications clean it off it can be used for the sides of air inlets as these can be thin like in ppottys build

uncleaned prefer to use only on outside as its toxic, chimney cap or last part of chimney as long as the heat and flames dont touch cap area it should be cool enough to use but not on an old fire type as too much heat

answer your last one exhaust can be bought in ss they use 304 ss also galvanised steel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aluminized Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aluminized Metal   Aluminized Metal Empty

Back to top Go down

Aluminized Metal
Page 1 of 1