The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My first rocket stove

Go down 
+7
caotropheus
2ndburn
aravaron
woodrascal
T2H
Kevin Bacon
ppotty1 Admin
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

My first rocket stove - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 pm

ppotty1 Admin wrote:
Part 2 the sawdust burn is here...

Great Video Loz!  Very Happy  If I may ? I would like to offer up a little food for thought on the use of your sawdust.

In the past when I would run short on or out of floor dry in my shop, I would grab a pail of sawdust I had around and sprinkle the floor after an oil spill of some kind. Then when I  was done with the sawdust and had my mess all cleaned up, I would put the saw dust into a small cardboard box and burn it in my wood stove.

From watching you fill your burn box with that small fine sawdust, I couldn't help but  think if your sawdust was moistened with used oil. Not dripping wet, just wet enough to be a paste.

I am thinking it would pack nicely into your burn box, not to mention the added burn time.  cheers
Back to top Go down
Bezman

Bezman

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 am

Loz,

Cracking mods to the stove chap, and you have managed to get the stove to top 1000 degs...and had a 12 hour burn day!

Welding looks like it has benefited from initially being mig, and then mig with gas  :lol: . Anyway, great looking bit of kit, and yeah....it does look like a bit of a beast from the side!

Bezman
Back to top Go down
jameshookway

jameshookway

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 10:15 am

Great job. Would you consider increasing the size of the fire box to get an all day burn?

James
Back to top Go down
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am

ievolve wrote:
sorry to be so inquisitive.  When you start the stove, do you put in some wood and paper, then close the lid?  If you do, do you find that smoke comes out the air intake?  How long does it take before you are generating a good draft?

Yes It still has a vortex.
This is how I fire it up, side vents open first, open lid, push small piece of lit paper into riser entrance. This heats the riser enough to start the draught, just a matter of lighting the fire in front of the riser entrance then. Smoke wont come out of the lid until the firebox is full of wood that's burning, the amount of heat rising from it would require a massive draught to pull it up the riser. Once the lid is closed the side vents totally keep the draught heading down and none of the smoke or flames hit the glass or come out of the vents. If I slow the burn down by reducing the air intake the smoke tends to rise and swirl around the glass but still does not come out of the vents. On a full fill with the lid down the wood gasses off after about 30 mins once the gas has burned away I can open the lid and nothing will come out of the top except heat. I built this so I can fill it up and forget it for a couple of hours which has been successful, kept the shop at 75f for the whole day today (10 hours) and filled the box 3 times.
Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
ppotty1 Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 10:55 am

jameshookway wrote:
Great job. Would you consider increasing the size of the fire box to get an all day burn?

James

Dont think I could achieve a full day burn with this set up James, it would be possible with a different riser and exchanger though.
Back to top Go down
https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first rocket stove   My first rocket stove - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

My first rocket stove
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2