The Rocket Woodstove Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Rocket Woodstove Forum

Woodstove development using rocketstove technology

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

7gallon propane tank rocket

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ROACH

ROACH

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 3:53 am

i do have at 30 gallon water heater coming for free i was looking into making picka's idea but round so i can make two of them i am trying to keep most of them small with a lot of heat output
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 3:55 am

lol

its 6" cut off bottle then cut the 6" into 2 so only half is used as i found out

the size of the system is 17"w x 17"L x 6" h as it can be replaced often if need be the only part to get red hot is within the fire box and the wrap around i did to it as ive seen this red hot on my testing of the system shown on the video and does the same as well

t2h and my heat recordings are on the same page,  page 2 id look at the heat foot print it has as they are quite good just need a 6" x 6" firebox instead or bigger if need be due to the ashes build up inside of it
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 4:09 am

ash tray in the bottom of burn chamber would help with ash buildup with pellets you dont get as much ash it should only one percent with 10 percent moisture i like pellets mostly i am tired of cutting wood every year and i work for a lumber mill in a power plant even though i can get my wood at cost 1.3 cents per pound if want to know 100k pound boiler 10mws. generator
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 4:24 am

two things i did not use secoundary air yet with the air coming across the pellet basket it should heat the air enough to do that already i had to raise the basket up off the grate as you can see in the pic the rod sticking out of door just for your info wood chuncks have 10 percent ash content pellets only have 1 percent
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 4:04 pm

ok i got the tank on got the exhaust on it work great but my fuel chamber gets to hot starts smoking have to make it cooler somehow pic's will follow
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 4:07 pm

going to add some kind of heat shield
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 5:47 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket15
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 pm

the feeder is gasifying which is normal what you need to do is have a direction plate

Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 5:01 am

the hole feed tube is getting to hot trying to gasify the pellets in the tube i need to stop that smoke is coming out of the top with lid closed i will be getting new gaskets today round door gasket what does anyone think of what kind of heat shield should i use
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 23, 2015 2:45 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket16 ok almost done still the fuel chamber is getting to hot get some smoke out of door looking for differnt gaskets
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 4:14 am

ok now added a heat sink for the fuel chamber that work good put better gaskets on the doors put a one inch air vent in front door now when i close the door the fire goes out going to drill more holes in the door for more air, is there a safey valve for draft contol to keep from backdrafting it seems when i open the fuel chamber door i get buff of flames coming out just for second it seems it was lighting the gas build up from the fuel chamber might have to put a small air vent in the chamber lid
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 4:38 am

roach i had a problem with mine that had the same issue query

do you have it connected to a chimney outlet say over 6ft high if so it maybe that your fire isnt pushing enough heat up the vortex tube

https://woodstoves.forumotion.co.uk/t395-help-needed-with-small-build-rs

i will be honest with you i was unsure if it was the long flue pipe i had up the garden or my firebox was too high so it equaled out the system pressure from one side to the other
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 5:12 am

my pipe is 8 foot right now, it only happens when i open the fuel chamber door to add more fuel also noticed that when i open the fuel chamber the rocket stove takes off even when the air door is open i was thinking about adding an air vent in the fuel door just to pull air through the fuel chamber just 1/8 hole to keep the gases pull to the burn chamber
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 5:30 am

roach i would consider ppottys method

a thin sheet of metal at side of the chamber has to start below the firebox so it heats up going past the firebox therefore pushing upwards

you will need to cut near the top filling area about 1/2" out

what this will do is allow some good control to it also fitting some fins to side of it you only need one side done hence for the video included

with this system ive never seen this type of controller on but to be honest i believe this will aid the system to have much better control to slow it down or speed it up

as this system has no control other than on full i think but i could be wrong
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 5:59 am

keep  in mind i am burning pellets in a basket trying to equal pressure on both fuel chamber and air needed to burn without backflash  it was not backdraft just a flash when the gases flowed into the burn chamber witch was not enough draft to handle a rush of gas coming into the burn chamber i will be doing more testing today with the hole in the fuel chamber door i can always weld up a 1/8 hole with the welder
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 8:06 am

im not sure roach

what i do understand by what you are saying is there is wood gas in the fuel chamber and it flares up when you open it up to refuel the stove

are you opening the lid a bit quickly ? so it flares up at you

if you was to put a hole at top of it the other effect of fire within the feeding area might occur

if you was to use my suggestion you could clear that smoke gas from the chamber before you open the system for refueling as it would blow the wood gas down into the system making it safe to open

but is it worth doing it or not ?
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 8:20 am

you were right it had the wrong effect putting in the top it smoke came out of it unstead, i will seal it back up i still need to put a bigger air vent in yet i drill two holes to no effect only had one inch hole will need 1 1/2 hole that might give me some ajustment also i have a temporary basket in right now no hole in the middle of basket like i was planning that might be some of the other problem with not enough air to close the door
Back to top Go down
gadily

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 9:23 am

here you are roach your famous lol

This is a quick and dirty super simple design gravity feed pellet rocket stove that I saw another youtube user do named rrooaacchh, so I gotta give his credit for the basic design. I changed the pellet basket rack a little and used bigger tubing and made the feed and air tubes a bit longer

i have no experience with a pellet burner from what i see

t2h uses draft control on his burner
fosselfuels uses draft control of air around the basket but has no control over the burn

Back to top Go down
caotropheus
Subscribers
Subscribers

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 1:11 pm

ROACH wrote:
the hole feed tube is getting to hot trying to gasify the pellets in the tube i need to stop that smoke is coming out of the top with lid closed i will be getting new gaskets today round door gasket what does anyone think of what kind of heat shield should i use

Very simple to get the feed tube cooler and free of wood gas and smoke. You need to flow primary air through the pellets. Make a second air entrance at the top of the pellet feeder (even at the lid) and from trial and error learn how to use both  air controls. You will see that no smoke will come out from the lid area. You can use the gasket as well. If you do not allow air to flow through the pellets you may get "back puffing". This occurs when you have too much wood gas, enough oxygen and enough temperature. When these proportions are right, wood gas ignites and makes a small "explosion" releasing a lot of smoke to the exterior and may even destroy parts of the stove. Take a look at this channel and see how this guy solved the same problem in his stove

https://www.youtube.com/user/JeffCBodine/videos
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 2:54 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket18 all i did was made a bigger air vent most of my problems went away i might need to make a bigger air vent or add secondary air in the system

Last edited by ROACH on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket18
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:06 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket21

Last edited by ROACH on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong pic)
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:09 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket22
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:12 pm

rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Rocket24 note notice the the heat sink between the tank and fuel chamber
Back to top Go down
ROACH

ROACH

PostSubject: re: 7 gallon propane tank   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 3:15 pm

boy notice the bad welds i am not much of a welder either
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 7gallon propane tank rocket   rocket - 7gallon propane tank rocket - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

7gallon propane tank rocket
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next